Monday, April 21, 2008

My first blog

So I've never really bothered with blogging before and this will be my first, and maybe last, go at it.

I've always had trouble taking my own thoughts seriously. This same attitude pervaded my time at Dallas Theological Seminary. I had so many great professors that I loved hearing from and I think I would have enjoyed conversations with them. However, I generally assumed, "Why would they want to talk to me...a guy who will ask the same questions and make the same comments they have heard from ten million other students?"

Now, I never thought that in an "I'm-so-terrible-I-should-just-die" mindset. It was more along the lines of, "they probably have lots of important books and meetings they need to tend to." I don't walk around feeling sorry for myself. I just know myself well enough to know that I've never had an original thought in my life. I chose my blog's title in line with that. It comes from Isaiah 40:8 "The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever." My thoughts are grass and flowers. Now I am realizing that this title may be misleading to those looking for botanical advice. Maybe I should just post a photo of my lawn to disabuse any folks of that notion.

Anyhoo...why start now? Is it because I think I have received heretofore unrevealed knowledge? Will this be the place where the world will be changed? Hardly.

However, I am a child of God, adopted into His family by grace alone and indwelt by His Spirit. I know that He has used me to be a blessing to His Church. I have, though I am such a sinner, been able to help others think through issues in a biblical way. God has given me a heart to learn the Scriptures and it amazes me every time to realize it but, hey, I know some stuff about the Bible! When people have questions, I'm able to answer! When it comes time to teach a passage, I can do it! When you are young, you just assume that you will never grow at all. But it can happen! I credit this to the fact that God is way more committed to me and to my growth than I had ever hoped. God could even use this blog as a conduit to bless His Church.

Well, I will try this little experiment in hopes that I can be of help to some. I know God is using me, but I don't know if this will be the way. It may be a fun success, but who knows if my general apathy towards writing my thoughts down will win the day. Maybe I can at least post some things I've written in the past that have been helpful for others. May God use everything I have and am for His glory.

No comments: